VIEW THE NEW UPDATED 2022 LIST HERE!
The new year is just two weeks away, and that means that a whole host of new quilt-alongs (and sew-alongs) are about to begin! Each year, it seems, I find out about these quilt-alongs a bit too late. I’ll be scrolling through Instagram, or perusing the latest posts in a Facebook quilt group, and see so many gorgeous blocks that folks are making as part of the QAL they’re participating in. So, this year I wanted to get ahead of things: I reached out to a group of amazing quilters, and created a list of some wonderful quilt-alongs that they are hosting.
The wonderful variety in this ever-growing list of quilt-alongs is that you can find just the right one for you. Looking to boost your quilting skills? Learn paper piecing? Create a small wall hanging, or a king size bed quilt? There’s a QAL just for you.
As for me, I’ve already picked out my fabric for The Quilter’s Planner QAL. I’ve also purchased my book for Alyce’s Mini Masterpiece QAL as I not only appreciate her style but also like the idea of a small finish that I can hang on the wall in my studio. Have you signed up for any quilt-alongs yet? Let me know in the comments; I’d love to add them to this growing list.
I have two quilt-alongs this year, too – beginning May 1st, we’ll be starting the Crab Quilt-Along as shown above. Then, in November, we’ll be making the Interactive Advent Wreath Wallhanging Quilt as shown below.
(Note: pictures of quilts are always enticing, but I wanted to respect their copyrights…so you’ll need to click over to each QAL page to view the final image of the quilt they’ll be making.)
So, tell me: in 2020, are you…
- …wanting a bit of Americana? Bea Lee of Beaquilter is hosting a 2020 Quilts of Valor quilt-along. She’ll be sharing patterns for blocks representing each of the 50 states (or, as she says, 51 counting DC – but who’s counting?). The beautiful red, white, and blue in her quilt make it the perfect patriotic choice.
- …feeling black and white? Then check out Ms. P Designs’ Black & White Delight quilt-along. The quilt is designed using the Wild Goose Chase block, and features a bold floral applique border.
- …looking for a smaller project to tackle? Alyce Blyth of Blossom Heart Quilts is hosting a Mini Masterpieces quilt-along based on her new book (you guys, it’s so so good). These lovely mini quilts have a fresh modern appeal to them, and are perfect for the busy quilter.
- …wanting to build your sewing skills? The Crafty Nomad is hosting a 6-block Progression quilt-along focused on developing a new skill with each block. Such a great idea!
- …ready for a beautiful day in the neighborhood? One of my favorite paper-piecers, Amy Friend of During Quiet Time, is hosting one of the most neighborly quilt-alongs with her Next Door quilt! I can’t help but think of Mr. Rogers and his friendly neighbors in seeing all the adorable little houses Amy created in her design.
- …feeling especially patriotic? Charisma Horton, a very talented long arm quilter over at Charisma’s Corner, is hosting an American Country BOM. Her quilt looks like the perfect one to cozy up in a cabin with.
- …ready to sew up your story? Cinzia White, of Cinzia White Designs, has a QAL that already started on December 2nd – but it’s not too late to join in and create one of these intricate hexagons. The Storyteller’s Sampler is truly as unique as the sewist creating it.
- …looking for a long-term quilt-along? Marianne Jeffrey of Adventurous Quilting is holding a two-year QAL. That gives you plenty of time to download the digital files and create some lovely blocks.
- …wanting a bit of mystery? Charisma Horton and Sarah Marcina have teamed up to create the Diary of a Patriot Mystery Quilt. I’ve always admired those brave enough to try out a surprise project like this! The final reveal happens in April…stay tuned.
- …ready to take a trip through New York City? Michelle Hiatt of Sew on the Go is hosting a four-month weekly mystery complete with clues – how fun is that! Her quilt, Grand Central, is inspired by the architecture of Grand Central Terminal (NYC) and runs mid-January thru mid-April 2020.
- …planning on making 2020 a more mindful year? This lovely quilt, hosted by Sonia Spence of Fabric and Flowers, would be the perfect choice. Her goal is to help you create mindful spaces of time each day to sew. Beautiful.
- …love batiks? Me, too. Michael Miller Fabrics is hosting a 2020 Peek into Batiks monthly QAL starting in January, and I’m excited to see what they’ll be sharing.
- …looking for a rainbow after a rough 2019? Rainbows always appear after the storm, and Megan Collin’s Sunshowers quilt-along gives you the opportunity to create them together.
- …want to create (an almost) medallion quilt? One of the most visually stunning quilt-alongs (I think!) is Rebecca Bryan’s Solstice BOM. This modern triangle quilt is bold and beautiful, and comes with different tiered pricing options to join in.
- …ready to push the boundaries of fabric play? Yvonne Fuchs, of Quilting Jetgirl, has an incredibly unique ability to make quilts seem almost transparent with the way she pairs fabric. Her Push-Pull QAL is no exception, and one I’m hoping to learn a few new skills from. While it started December 2nd, it has a slow sew pace during the Christmas season so you’ll have no trouble catching up.
- …looking for novelty designs? For real variety, Sindy Rodenmayer of FatCat Patterns has multiple BOMs to choose from for 2020. Her Angels quilt has a classy, timeless look while the Funky Chickens is pure joy!
- …ready to go on an adventure in color? The dynamic duo Kate Colleran and Tammy Silvers have created a Luminous quilt-along with the big reveal coming up in early January.
- …learn to paper piece? One of my favorite quilters, Christa Watson of Christa Quilts, is hosting a quilt-along focused on learning to paper piece. This is a wonderful way to gain a new skill in your sewing toolbox.
- …want to make something besides a quilt? Check out Raylee Bielenberg of Sunflower Stitcheries & Quilting’s pin cushion club! Raylee is one of the sweetest women I know, and I’m looking forward to joining in with her for a pincushion (or three).
- …like to keep a secret? Try the Luna Mystery Quilt by Cora’s Quilt; it’s a mystery quilt released one block at a time.
- …want to bring a bit of peace and love to your life? Create this beautiful heart of half- and quarter-square triangle quilt by Audrey Mann of The Cloth Parcel.
- …looking to add to your art wall? This Gallery Wall Quilt by Carolina Moore of Always Expect Moore creates the sweetest frames for your favorite fabrics!
- …wanting to break into all your scraps? The Scrap Snap Quilt Along by Quilts for the Making has a wonderful quilt planned to use up all those scraps.
- …interested in becoming part of an international group? The International Quilters Association (IAQ) is hosting two different quilt-alongs, and you can pick whichever most interests you.
- …looking to join as a quilt shop?, This top-along by Running Doe may be the perfect project for you and your quilt store!
I’m excited to host a quilt-along, but we won’t be starting until July. This year, we’ll be sewing one of my favorite patterns, Advent Wreaths – it’s going to be a wonderful sort of Christmas in July (and August) as we create this heirloom quilt! The best part? You’ll have it finished well before autumn, leaving you plenty of time to work on gifts during the winter months.
So, again, tell me – what quilt alongs are you joining in this coming year?
Also…in totally unrelated news…after *way* too long of not joining, I’m finally on Bloglovin. It turns out there’s already 65 subscribers over there – yeah and thanks! I’ve just started to explore Bloglovin, and I’m already appreciating how nice it is to have found an easy way to have all my favorite blogs consolidated in one spot (I admit, my inbox has been a nightmare lately). So, if you’re the same, you can Follow my blog with Bloglovin!
Leave a Reply