My sewing space looks soo good with all the spring cleaning and deep cleaning that we’ve been doing! Of course, there’s always something else to do: today we’re going to take a look at how to clean your rotary cutting mat. Your rotary cutting mat gets *so much use*, and often uses that aren’t necessarily intended (here’s looking at you, coffee-cup-sitting-on-the-mat).
Now, there are photos below on how to clean your cutting mat but I *highly* recommend viewing the video as that will walk you through, step by step, how to clean each bit of your cutting mat in greater detail than what is shown below:
…and if you’re not the video type, no problem! Here’s a photo step-by-step for you, along with a supply list. Keep in mind, though, that the second half of the video above has a section on long-term maintenance that is not covered below.
- rotary cutting mat
- eraser (I use a Seam Fix as it’s three tools in one!)
- Magic Eraser
- microfiber cleaning towels
- white vinegar
- warm water
STEP 1: REMOVE LOOSE FIBERS FROM YOUR CUTTING MAT
- Using either the rubber end of your Seam Fix or an eraser, rub the threads away from the top of your cutting mat
- Gather the loose threads, fibers, and fabrics and toss them into the trash
STEP 2: REMOISTURIZE YOUR CUTTING MAT WITH VINEGAR/WATER MIX
- Fill your tub with 3″ of cool /room temperature water, and add vinegar (roughly 1-2 cups per gallon of water)
- Depending on the size of your cutting mat, you may need to first soak one half, and then the other. Soak each side for :30min, and rinse with cool water when done.
STEP 3: USE YOUR MAGIC ERASER TO REMOVE ANY REMAINING DIRT AND STAINS ON YOUR CUTTING MAT
- Thoroughly dampen your Magic Eraser, then gently rub over stains and dirt to remove any remaining spots that didn’t rinse off with the water/vinegar soak.
STEP 4: ENJOY YOUR NEWLY-CLEANED ROTARY CUTTING MAT AND APPRECIATE HOW PERFECTLY IT SELF HEALS WHEN YOU ROTARY CUT!
NOTE: This post contains affiliate links to Amazon for the Sew-Steady glider mat. If you purchase it through my link, I receive a small amount from Amazon as a thank you at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my small business!