Welcome to our beginner sewing class on creating a Sew-a-Saint doll!
These adorable saint dolls come printed on a fat quarter of fabric, with the directions printed right beside the design of the doll. At just a few steps, they’re simple – and make the perfect snuggle toy when finished.
Today, we’re going to walk you through the step-by-step process to create a doll. Below, you’ll find step-by-step photos on how to make your saint doll. I’ve also linked to many of the products shown in the photos, as I’ve tried several and these are my go-to items when it’s time to sew.
WHAT YOU NEED:
- your favorite Sew-a-Saint fabric (Tip: is there a saint you’d like to see, but don’t? Let me know, I love custom orders!)
- sewing machine
- fabric sheers
- fabric pins
- doll stuffing/polyfill
HOW TO MAKE: (with photos)
Did you enjoy this sewing class? View all our sewing classes here!
HOW TO MAKE: (text only)
- Set your iron to cotton setting and press your fabric
- Using fabric sheers, cut out both the front and back of your doll
- With right sides together, pin your fabric every 5” or so
- Stitch around the edge of your doll leaving a ¼” allowance. Remember to backstitch when you begin sewing!
- Leave a 4” gap at the bottom for stuffing. Remember to backstitch when you finish sewing!
- Stuff your doll. TIP: add a bit more stuffing than you need, as it will always flatten over time.
- Thread your needle, and stitch the gap closed using a whip stitch (through the fabric, over the top, through the fabric, over the top…)
- Enjoy your new Sew-a-Saint doll for years to come!
How much poly fill does each doll take? I bought 3 as gifts and want to include the poly fill, but I don’t know how much to buy.
I buy my polyfill at Hobby Lobby; their standard size bag will easily fill three dolls with a bit left over. I like my dolls quite filled (more firm), so I use almost the entire bag on three dolls. If you like them softer, it will take less. Great question!
Kim S. says
Just came across your site. LOVE the sew a saint fabric doll activity. Do you have other Saints? Our classroom Saint is St. Francis and our school Saint is St. Raphael. I love the size but wondered if you ever make the prints in a smaller size? $16/fabric piece is a bit too much for me to make with my 18 students-wondered if you have a more economical option for group orders. Looking forward to hearing more!
Kim, yes! I do wholesale orders. I’ll email you.
Carol Jones says
Do you have st faustina dolls? Also do you have any faith fabric I could use for making vestments for my grandsons
Hi Carol! Thanks for reaching out. I do have several fabrics – here’s the link to view: https://faithandfabricdesign.com/product-category/fabrics-by-the-yard